‘Tiny You’ to Close Sunnyside Store, Focus on Long Island City

Tiny-You-Sunnyside

June 23, 2015 By Christian Murray

An upscale children’s clothing store is closing down its Sunnyside location to focus on its Long Island City operation.

Jill Callan, the owner of Tiny You, has decided to close her 46-21 Skillman Avenue store that she opened in Sept. 2010.

Callan, who expanded into Long Island City two years ago, will operate out of her 10-50 Jackson Avenue location.

The LIC store is twice the size of Callan’s Skillman Avenue location.

Callan said that the bigger space provides her with the ability to offer a greater product line. Furthermore, Long Island City is undergoing such a construction boom that the demand for children’s products continues to grow.

“My [Skillman Ave] lease ends July 31,st Callan said. “I wanted to stay. I live here but I want to focus on being in Long Island City and [selling] on line.”

She notified her customers recently about her impending Sunnyside departure.

“I wanted to let them know that the Jackson Avenue store is nearby,” Callan said.

The Skillman Avenue location will close during the last week of July.

10-50 Jackson Avenue

10-50 Jackson Avenue

Queensgal

Sure- if she were to focus on one shop- certainly it would be in LIC where people have more $$. So good luck to them and we’ll continue to be customers.

As much as everyone seems to hates this thought, I feel COMPLETELY certain that in 10 years this area will be Park Slopish. It going to happen- you can see it happening already- the demographic is changing quickly. Hopefully once that happens, Tiny You can come back:)

Old Neighbor

You mean once people who have lived here and made it the neighborhood you moved into, go away and make room for “better” people, like you? I know how Native Americans feel now.

John

For cripes sake, you know no such thing unless you’ve been slaughtered, raped, decimated. Maybe you are pushed out of a neighborhood you like/love. That absolutely sucks. But #perspective for crissakes.

Holier Than Thouest

How could that biz survive? How many sales were there in a day? If 10 people went in that store in a day I’d be surprised. Hours must have passed by with no customers. Maybe sales come from the internet.

JOReilly

Too bad, the shop was a bright spot on that block. The owner is a smart business person and I’m sure she is aware of price points for the neighborhood, but she also needs to cover her monthly costs and make some money for herself. I’m claiming the first to suggest that a book store go into the space.

Anonymous visitor

Can anyone speak to the square footage inside? I’ve not been inside any of the spaces on that block, save the corner market at 46th.

michael jordan

go where the moms have cash, LIC or Park Slope – good move, good luck. Whens the new nail salon opening up in that spot?

Kramden's Delicious Marshall

Probably not enough passing pedestrian traffic at that location.

John Doe

still too many poors in Sunnyside, especially the south side. this hood still needs a few more years to “get there”

Liss

I actually live on the south Side and I’m not poor. Keep your mouth shut if you don’t have anything nice to say. I’m sorry to see you go, however I love the shop in LIC so we’ll see you there. My friends have loved all the gifts I’ve bought from you.

For real

Good. Leave. It’s overpriced stores like this that bring in snotty Park Slopers. But I hope it won’t be another nail salon. Maybe a kids store with reasonable prices.

Annab

I hate to say it, because it was a charming shop and I like to support small businesses, but the prices were too high for Sunnyside. I don’t find $40-60 for children’s clothes reasonable, and I don’t think most Sunnysiders did either.

Melissa

smart business move opening in lic – lots of young families and upwardly mobile customers there. see you around the nabe. congrats!

Mom

How sad for us! But, there are certainly many more customers in LIC. Good luck, and sorry to see you go.

LaGuardia Community College President Kenneth Adams explained that the school lost nearly a quarter of its students at the height of the pandemic due to the economic effects of the lockdown on low-income Queens households.

BP launches new advisory panel for youth to become civically engaged in the future of Queens

In an effort to get more young people involved in civics, Queens Borough President Donovan Richards has created a new advisory panel known as the Youth and Young Adult Council to introduce the “youngest and fiercest” community advocates to both community service and organization.

Members of the advisory body will advocate concerns through means of community engagement by participating in one of two cohorts. The first will be made up of high school representatives between the ages of 13 and 17, while the second cohort will be comprised of young adults between the ages of 18 and 25.

Raga sworn in as first-ever Filipino American elected to the state Legislature

More than 300 community members attended the historic inauguration of Assemblyman Steven Raga as the first Filipino American elected to office in New York state.

Many who attended the swearing-in event at the Queens Museum in Flushing Meadows Corona Park wore traditional and cultural attire to the event at the building that once housed the General Assembly of the newly formed United Nations from 1946-50 until its current home in Manhattan became available for the world body.