Thai Restaurant to Open on Queens Blvd

Photo: QueensPost

July 9, 2014 By Christian Murray

A Thai restaurant is scheduled to open at 45-04 Queens Blvd in the same location where Nodus operated.

The restaurant, to be called Blu Orchid, will be opening next month, according to the owner.

Nodus, which was also a Thai restaurant, operated at the location for about two years before closing in October 2013.

Anonymous

I agree: there ARE alot Of restaurants in Sunnyside. BUT NONE OF THEM ARE GOOD. The Sunnyside restaurant scene is great for people who settles for mediocre food. How many half-assed chinese and thai places do we have here already? How many discusting diners? italian restaurants serving up bland greasy food and call it “genuine italian”?! And how many crappy irish pubs does one neighborhood need?!?!? Come on, we need to see some passionate bar and restaurant owners starting Up their busineses here for once.

Krissi

43rd & 43rd – I’m sorry but Dave is the sorriest bagels I’ve ever had. Supermarket bagels are even better than Dave’s.

But otherwise I agree.

I loooved Nodus and was sad to see it go. I totally 2nd that we need a good sit down Chinese restaurant.

South Side Johnny

I love those bagels when they are still warm, but wish there was more “everything” on the everything bagels. I their bialys need some work, but I’m glad they are there.

Anonymous

I’ve been to Venturo a few times and thought it was great. I’m not a foodie by any stretch but still found plenty of tasty things on the menu – and it’s not a spendy place either.

We have a really diverse selection of restaurants here in Sunnyside (and a ton of fast food). And with a quick trip on the 7 train you can get to some delicious, inexpensive, and authentic foreign foods.

Anonymous

Went to Venturo for brunch a few weeks back, food was awful. That’s your idea of best “hands down?”

43rd & 43rd

Sunnyside only has Chinese, Thai, and Spanish restaurants? Look around you . . . Sunnyside has incredible variety, including Indian, Japanese, fusion, Turkish, Lebanese, Korean, Hispanic of all kinds, French, Irish. No Italian restaurants? What about Venturo, Dazie’s, Mario’s, Prima Sarabella, and obviously all the pizza. Tell me where else in the city are you going to find Romanian and Transylvanian restaurants?

For those looking for good bagels, what about Dave’s Bagels on Queens Blvd. between 43rd-44th?

KSNY

Austin 316…you are spot on. I really don’t like the sauce used at donato’s and uncle jimmy’s. I haven’t tried sunnyside pizza. It’s such a simple thing but so many pizzeria’s don’t get it right. We don’t need to get as high brow as fornino’s but a decent slice with real tomato sauce should not be out of reach.

Austin 316

Definitely need better Chineese no doubt about it.
Don’t need another Thai place no doubt about it.
Donatos and sunnyside pizza both buy the same Sysco sauce with extra sugar. Can someone please tell these people to look up a basic pomodoro sauce online.

BubbaHubba

I Am Thai really isn’t too bad at all, it has replaced my former Thai-Malay weekly delivery after they sold out. It’s not Sripraphai but it ain’t bad!

Good Chinese & good fried chicken are sorely needed here!

KSNY

Moved to Sunnyside a year ago. I agree with some that there are enough Thai places (regardless of quality). What are our choices for pizza? I haven’t had a good slice in a while since I moved here. I don’t miss greenpoint for anything else but I do miss good pizza. I have tried Donato’s and Uncle Jimmy’s, also skillman coffee shop

ann

“Ruthless towards Nodus”? That means the Health Dept. enforced sanitation rules, prevented food poisoning, and keep rat and mouse elements out of your food? I am all for it. If a restaurant can’t meet sanitation regulations, after warnings, it does not deserve to be in business.

R from Sunnyside

I second the request for Vietnamese!! Please, please, please!

I love Donato’s on 39th Avenue and 51st STreet in Sunnyside Gardens. Old school, red sauce. So good!

Michael Bonomo

@Natty – Thank you for the info. Like I said, I moved here a few months ago and I like it here. I will go there and check it out when I have the time.

Mrs. Jane Grissom II

The Health Dept was ruthless towards Nodus. I hope they don’t pull that garbage again.

Eric

@Michael Bonomo @Natty – “Mario’s Restaurant” is the italian place on 47th ave and 43rd. I’m not really a fan of italian restaurants, but this one surprised me. The cocktails were great and the chicken parmigiana was very good. We also had an amazing chicken and asparagus in a white sauce that I can’t remember the name of the dish though.

As for a new thai place, I’m all for it. I didn’t notice how mediocre the other thai offerings along queens blvd were until nodus left.

widmark

All the thai places in Sunnyside are terrible. Especially when you’re so close to Sripraphai, Ayada, Khao Kang in Woodside and Chao, Chao Too, Ploy and all the other places popping up in Elmhurst. It’s a world of difference.

Natty

@ Michael Bonomo – There is an Italian Restaurant on 47th Ave & 43rd St. Never been there though.

Concerned Hipster

The Sunnyside Slimer is practising the dark arts in order to ensure SriPraPhai doesn’t get anywhere near opening a sister restaurant on the Blvd.

Michael Bonomo

I have such a crazy idea, what if there was an Italian restaurant in Sunnyside? I just moved to Sunnyside a few months ago and all I see is Chinese, Thai and Spanish restaurant. There needs to be more ethnic varieties here.

Mork Howe-Belle

There are at least two good Thai restaurants close by this location. Perhaps the demand for Thai food is already being met.

nobody

because thai malay, dee, yum yum, i am thai, grey point, and all the others simply aren’t enough!

Woody Woodpecker

What this neighborhood really needs is a nice sit down Chinese Restaurant and less OLD FARTS