July 30, 2012 Staff Report
Sunnyside Shines, which is in charge of increasing the vibrancy of the local business district, and the NYC Department of Transportation are in the final stages of installing about 20 benches though out the Sunnyside business district.
After months of planning–and asking businesses and property owners if they would like benches–the DOT is ready to install the first group of benches in the next few days. Each bench will have dividers to reduce the chances that people will sleep on them. The locations are as follows.
- 43-06 47th Avenue between 43rd Street and 44th Street
- 46-01 Queens Boulevard between 46th Street and 47th Street
- 46-09 Queens Blvd between 46th Street and 47th Street
- 41-16 Queens Blvd between 41st Street and 42nd Street
- 43-42 40th Street between Queens Blvd & 43rd Avenue
- 43-46 44th Street, between 54th Drive and 55th Avenue
- 44-07 Queens Blvd, between 44th Street and 45th Street
- 43-46 46th Street between Queens Blvd and 43rd Ave
- 39-11 Queens Blvd between 39th Street & 39th Place
- 39-13 Queens Blvd between 39th Street & 39th Place
An additional four benches will be installed at the intersection of Greenpoint Avenue and 45th street in the next couple of weeks. Finally, more benches will be installed after muni-meters replace regular meters in Sunnyside in October.
“Sunnyside Shines is thrilled to have the opportunity to work with The Department of Transportation to get the benches into our business district,” said James Bray, executive director of Sunnyside Shines. “I hope everyone enjoys the additional seating.”