Queens 7 Train Riders Face Hellish Commute Due to a Broken Rail

Aug. 26, 2019 By Allie Griffin

Queens straphangers had a hellish start to their week, beginning their Monday morning commute with major rush hour delays and overcrowding.

Because of a broken rail near Queensboro Plaza, 7 train service was suspended around 7 a.m. between Queens and Manhattan and other Queens lines faced “extensive delays” as a result, according to NYCT Subway’s twitter.

“Nothing like starting Monday with the 7 train suspended and every other train out of Queens packed like sardines,” one twitter user said.

Others tweeted that they had been stuck on a 7 train for 40 minutes, only to have to reverse course, or that it took over an hour to go two stops.

An hour later, at around 8 a.m., the NYCT Subway announced that 7 trains were running into Manhattan only from Vernon Boulevard Jackson Avenue, Hunters Point Avenue and Court Square and Main Street-bound 7 trains were terminating at Court Square, while they worked to repair the broken rail.

The NYCT Subway suggested commuters to transfer to an N or W train at Queensboro Plaza as an alternative route to Manhattan. Long Island Rail Road temporarily allowed MetroCard holders to board its trains at no additional charge at Flushing-Main Street, 61 Street-Woodside and Penn Station.

At 9:09 a.m., the NYCT Subway tweeted that they had repaired the broken rail and 7 trains were beginning to run their entire route through Queensboro Plaza, but added that straphangers should “continue to expect considerable delays in both directions,” as trains were brought back on schedule.

Another twitter user commented on the 7 train’s everyday delays. “Dead @MTA thank you so much for not only helping me be regularly late with the 7 train but also never getting better. Sincerely, every f***ing person in north queens,” she wrote.

Phil

They’ve closed the 7 every weekend for 20 years supposedly to work on this exact section. WTF have they been doing? There was a string about two years ago where literally EVERY Monday after closures their would be apocalyptic delays, as if the repairs were actually causing more damage.

Van Bramer will NOT have support from the community in his mayoral run after allowing MTA to pull this crap for decades.

AOC for president 2024

Let’s face it; ya living in 3rd world. Even Mexico has better subway/public transportation system.

AOC for president 2024

“Go back to your country” mindset makes 3rd world. Matter of fact, Yes! I left from your place already and I am just here for laugh at you.

Jul

The people saying that MTA will fix this for U.S. Open tourists are bat **** crazy! The MTA does not give a rat’s *** about ANYone. There are thousands upon thousands of tourists here every weekend, and yet every weekend it’s faster to fly to Miami than it is to subway from the upper west side to the upper east side. Forget the outer boroughs. MTA = incompetent, under-achieving Losers.

Bike commuter

I’ve been commuting by bike since the DOT installed protected bike lanes on Skillman and 43rd avenues. I just found out about this after biking home from work! As a former 7 train rider I feel bad for anyone who had to deal with this!

This also highlights a need for Citibike in our area. It’s literally a 5-10 minute ride to the R line or a 15-20 minute ride to 59th and Lex on a bike. I’ve also lost 20 pounds over the last year! Thank you DOT for making an easy ride to the city possible.

Robert

Miserable road-bed. “Sectioned track” from the late 1800’s – click clack click clack. Motor-sets that are incapable of supplying smooth acceleration – bang crash. Braking seems to be a series of approximations where actually arriving at a platform is a miracle – brake on brake off. Ah – this is not going to end well. This entire situation requires a complete re-think.

VelvetKnight

Which is the smug part, where I talk about the nice weather, or where I acknowledge the fact that options exist?

As for the “prick” part, there’s an easy way to see if you’re right. You just anonymously attacked a total stranger for no reason, adding exactly nothing to the conversation. If your theory is correct, you’ll get at least 3 times as many downvotes as me. So I guess we’ll find out.

Anon

Look at me, look at me, I ride a bike. Aren’t I wonderful!!!! That is the smug part. The discussion was on the topic of 7 train service.

VelvetKnight

Ahhh… now I get it. The smug part is what you imagined I said, not what I actually said. Makes more sense now.

Did you complain about the article or commenters talking about buses or other trains? If not, why are you ok with people including some 7 Train alternatives, but not others?

Realtarded Estate Developer

The 7 train is works great. I will build another 20 story building to bring in more hipsters. Plenty of room on outside of train to hang on to.

Mason

THE 2 problems MTA face are lacking capital,passengers stealing service(I saw this just last at the Barkley Centre/Atlantic Ave station w/hundreds of dollars merchandise from across the street thought nothing of ducking under the turn stile)and ALSO the ONLY major system in THE WORLD that operates 24hours a day 7days a week 356 a year

Randy

We need to get this idiot in Albany make sure this means of transport works instead of naming bridges and putting his hands in cement. Never do you see this pol ever wear a hardhat or any safety equipment. Disgrace!

He has a cushy job, sure...

That doesn’t mean a thing. My father was the assistant commissionar for NYC Bridges and would go up bridges often. Even before he was commissionar he would climb up the cables and check up on things.

Fed Up in woodside

I would like to know why didnt MTA put out subway shuttle buses sooner. I waited 2hrs for a bus on Roosevelt Ave & 54Street . All the #Q32 were full and did NOT take on any passengers. Really now !! I felt I live in 3rd World Country . No communications at all. And for all that I did not pay my fare today for all aggravations & stress I was put through . Lousy job MTA

Marty

7 train is awful in general. That’s the reason I moved out of Sunnyside back to Manhattan.

David Wolberg

Over the weekend of Saturday, August 17, 2019 to 5 AM Monday, August 19. 2019, 7 train service was suspended between Queensboro Plaza and Grand Central/42 nd Street for “urgent repairs”.
Any issues with the tracks and rails near Queensboro Plaza should have been caught and fixed over that weekend. The MTA just cannot get anything right.

Angela Smith

But I betcha the 7 line will be functioning FULLY with air condition, reclining seats, food/bottle service, state of the art Video/Audio, Leg/elbow room, functioning bathrooms, Maître d to accommodate your every need and ON TIME TRAIN ARRIVAL, when that U.S. OPEN comes…..

Blame the Berg.

This is all because Bloomberg what on us when he was running the show. “No one ever rides the 7!!!”

#Chriscuomoisarobot

US Open starts today. MTA will fix this for the tourists. The rest of us are incidental.

Not so smart

EXCUSE ME but did you stand along Roosevelt Ave where bus stops ? The bus did not stop to take on passengers cos it was packed .
Yeah waited 2 hrs for a freakin bus . Thanks Sherlock .