You are reading

Large Chinese restaurant changes ownership, expansion and renovations planned

July 5, 2017 Staff Report

Out with the old, in with the new.

The New Grand Buffet, the large Chinese restaurant located at 34-45 48th Street, has been taken over by a new owner who wants to modernize the 20-year-old establishment.

Jason Zheng, who has close ties to the restaurant since his parents managed it for years, bought the business recently with big plans in mind. Zheng plans to transform it into a trendier eatery and intends to renovate and possibly expand it.

“The Chinese buffet trend started 20 years ago in New Jersey, and then expanded into Long Island, Queens and elsewhere,” Zheng said. “Now, if you go into any Chinese buffet, the layout and style of each looks almost exactly the same because they were all built with the same design in mind.”

Zheng said he plans to add a sushi bar and hibachi-style open kitchen, among many other changes.

He is in current negotiations with the landlord for the empty lot next door at 34-47 48th St. which was previously occupied by “WeeBeeKids.”

If he successfully secures the location, he plans to expand New Grand Buffet into the 6,000 sq. ft. space, which would double the size of the restaurant to 12,000 sq. ft.

“If we secure the space next door, we plan on being able to install dividing doors between the new and old sections of New Grand Buffet, so we can have private parties without having to close down the whole restaurant,” he said.

Bridal parties, christenings, birthdays, corporate events and more will be possible with the privacy that the separation would provide, he said, as well as modern equipment and amenities he intends to install such as overhead speakers, projectors for meetings and events, and a full liquor bar which the restaurant currently does not feature.

Zheng said he also plans to pay close attention to what his customers are saying about the restaurant.

“I plan to make sweeping new changes right away, starting with getting immediate feedback from our customers through comment cards with every meal, which we are implementing this week,” said Zheng.

The new owner says he plans to make customer satisfaction central to management, and that he will not hold back on any expense in order to meet that demand.

“We want to do everything we can to encourage people to become repeat customers, so we are introducing Loyalty Cards which diners will be able to sign up for in the near future,” Zheng shared.

In order to obtain a Loyalty Card, a restaurant-goer would have to sign up during their visit, at which point they would receive the following benefits:

– 10% off their bill immediately
– 3% off each bill on future visits
– Price freeze on all buffet items and services for 2 months

Zheng says he is including the price freeze as part of the loyalty program because he anticipates that some items will cost more as New Grand Buffet undergoes renovation later in the year.

The New Grand Buffet is not Zheng’s only new venture. He is in the midst of opening a smaller restaurant called BT Kitchen at 31-16 Broadway in Astoria, just steps away from the N/W Broadway train station.

This eatery, he said, will feature a cross between buffet and takeout, where customers get to pick out buffet items and put them in a container. The price is determined by the size of the container.

New Grand Buffet will serve as a central kitchen for BT Kitchen, and Zheng says if that establishment is a success, he will open similar buffet-takeout style restaurants in Long Island City and elsewhere.

Future location of BT Kitchen at 31-16 Broadway

email the author: [email protected]

14 Comments

Click for Comments 
E. T. Headz

3%? Can they spare it? I wouldn’t want them to have to file for chapter 11 because of it. Give me a break.

Reply
Anthony

With the new 3% off deal with their card, you can save about sixty cents on a meal. The line to get in would be around Old Navy. What a deal!

Reply
Marie J

WOW 3% OFF THE BILL! ($20 A MEAL SAVES YOU 60 CENTS!) THERE WILL BE A LINE AROUND THE BLOCK NEAR GUITAR CITY FOR THAT BARGAIN!

Reply
Part eggplant

I once ordered #69 on the menu for delivery. I can’t describe what I saw when I opened my door. Not on this family-friendly blog. Let’s just say it wasn’t the beef and broccoli.

Reply
lizzy

I love going to this place when i feel like cheating on my diet. I tend to get back to my diet as soon as I walk in and see the buffet.

Reply
Tootsietooters

YAY I look forward to the full liquor buffet!

Hope their cookies are better. Last ones I had there had paper scrap in them.

Reply
Anonymous

this chinese place has been closed tooooo many times different owner still the same family many of people have gotten sick here –

Reply
Nancy

This place is packed everyday of the week! Many of the people are from the local community and beyond. That is why the are expanding. Overall it is good food and excellent for people and families on a budget or those looking to try a little of everything.

Reply

Leave a Comment
Reply to this Comment

All comments are subject to moderation before being posted.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

Recent News

Popular places where you can watch the Super Bowl in Queens

Feb. 2, 2023 By Tammy Scileppi

Hey, football fans! Game time is fast approaching, and across the city and here in Queens, you can feel the excitement brewing as the two teams prepare to take the field on Super Bowl Sunday, Feb. 12. So, kick back and watch the big game, and don’t miss Rihanna’s exciting performance during halftime. 

Borough president hears from community members on budget needs throughout Queens

During a two-day public hearing on the mayor’s 2024 preliminary budget, Queens Borough President Donovan Richards Jr. listened to testimonies from 14 community board representatives, community stakeholders and members of the public on where the money should be spent in Queens. 

The public hearings were held both in-person and via Zoom on Monday, Jan. 30, and Tuesday, Jan. 31, at Queens Borough Hall. The testimonials will be used to develop the Queens Borough Board’s FY24 preliminary budget priorities in the coming weeks. 

‘He didn’t deserve to die’: Borough President Richards leads emotional candlelight vigil for Tyre Nichols

Queens Borough President Donovan Richards held a candlelight vigil for Tyre Nichols outside Queens Borough Hall Monday, Jan. 30 after Nichols’ death at the hands of police officers in Memphis, Tenn., made national headlines for the brutality in which the officers beat him.

Almost immediately after news broke about Nichols’ death, the Memphis police officers who beat him to death were fired and charged with murder. The police department released the body cam footage of the fatal beating on Jan. 27, but many people, including some at the vigil, have refused to watch it due to its extremely graphic nature.

Op-Ed: This Year’s State Budget Must Prioritize Climate, Jobs, and Justice for New York

Op-Ed, Jan. 30, By Assemblymember Jessica González-Rojas

In a time of rampant economic inequality and environmental injustice, it is easy to feel defeated.  Here in Queens and across New York State, however, communities are organizing for a better future. New Yorkers from different backgrounds and with different lived experiences are proving that we can build community, organize, and create a future that reflects our shared values.