The Kitchen Cafe and Bakery on 43rd Avenue Closes, ‘For Rent’ Signage Appears

The Kitchen, now closed, at 48-11 43rd Ave.

Dec. 28, 2017  By Nathaly Pesantez

The Kitchen, a brunch and bakery joint operating in Sunnyside since 2014, has closed.

The small locale at 48-11 43rd Ave., known for serving breakfast items like sandwiches, oatmeal, and parfaits, along with lunch and dinner options like salads and pasta, now dons a “for rent” banner under its awning.

White Cake Bakery, former name of the now closed eatery.

The site was called White Cake Bakery when it initially opened by two long-time Sunnyside residents, Yoon Chun and Roberto Ramos, years ago, and had a similar menu of breakfast items, burgers, sandwiches, and cafe staples.

The eatery underwent a name change in late 2015.

Calls to the locale at the listed number were unsuccessful.

Soph

This is so sad. I was hoping it was a temporary closure. I spoke with an owner of a neighboring business who told me Yoon’s father passed away and he moved back to Korea. These guys ran a really reliable business. Best sandwiches in Sunnyside. Clean place and great food. Best of luck in the future to both owners!

S

This place had terrible service for a few years (never bad enough that I stopped going), and it had really improved in 2017. They had the best breakfast sandwich in town. Sorry to see them go.

Anonymous

The food was good, the owner (Yoon) was a jerk. He barely greeted his guestsNd always has an attitude. Their customer service was really bad. Here’s a tip, don’t be in the service business if you don’t want to deal with people.

kea

They had excellent food. But I never felt welcomed there – like I wasn’t the young, hip clientele they wanted.

Gastro

I think the owner was generally not friendly to anyone. There used to be two owners who were cold. Then just one. Customers seemed to be an inconvenience.

rtfmidtown

sorry to hear.. did a great breakfast and the coffee was awesome.. support the small business owner.. starbucks must go..!

Sunnyside Loves Me Long Time

Another small business goes out because of astronomical rent. Still sticking with the “Sunnyside is the new Williamsburg” nonsense B.I.D ?

Billy

Sunnyside will never be “the new Williamsburg”, for one Sunnyside never had the dramatic down turn Williamsburg suffered.

Marge

What? Where in the article did it say it was due to rent cost? It sounds like bad business and feuding owners from the comments.

Ernie

I loved the kitchen cookie. I would literally wake up on Saturdays and Sundays thinking about them….and make my way there by the afternoon to buy one and eat it while I strolled around the neighborhood — although sometimes they were sold out by the time my lazy self got there!! PLEASE open back up.

David

I am very shocked. They seemed to be a big hit.. although location was not the greatest. I loved the food.it was unique and delicious.. not like the boring diners I always avoided ( and continue to) I for one am very saddened by this news…?

David

I stopped going there because of the bad service. I’d stand at the counter for ten minutes waiting for someone to notice me. At the least say “be right with you.” But nope.

Master of the Obvious

Service really went down hill over the past few months. It’s a shame because their BLEAT sandwich was on point.

Billy

After Steins deli closed after being in business for many years, nothing seems to be able to survive in that location. What a shame.

LaGuardia Community College President Kenneth Adams explained that the school lost nearly a quarter of its students at the height of the pandemic due to the economic effects of the lockdown on low-income Queens households.

BP launches new advisory panel for youth to become civically engaged in the future of Queens

In an effort to get more young people involved in civics, Queens Borough President Donovan Richards has created a new advisory panel known as the Youth and Young Adult Council to introduce the “youngest and fiercest” community advocates to both community service and organization.

Members of the advisory body will advocate concerns through means of community engagement by participating in one of two cohorts. The first will be made up of high school representatives between the ages of 13 and 17, while the second cohort will be comprised of young adults between the ages of 18 and 25.

Raga sworn in as first-ever Filipino American elected to the state Legislature

More than 300 community members attended the historic inauguration of Assemblyman Steven Raga as the first Filipino American elected to office in New York state.

Many who attended the swearing-in event at the Queens Museum in Flushing Meadows Corona Park wore traditional and cultural attire to the event at the building that once housed the General Assembly of the newly formed United Nations from 1946-50 until its current home in Manhattan became available for the world body.