Famous singer/songwriter a frequent performer at Sunnyside venue

JD @ teapot 6-22-2013Oct. 6, 2014 By Kim Brown

Jim Dawson has sold out shows at the Bitter End, been signed by RCA Records and written a song recorded by Sesame Street’s Elmo.

This Thursday he’s playing at The Globe Tavern’s Open Mic night on Skillman Avenue.

“It really ups the quality of the night,” said host and guitarist Trevor Bowen. “He’s a pro, it’s the most wonderful feeling of support.”

Dawson, who has been compared to James Taylor and Harry Chapin, was also touted as the next Bob Dylan after “Songman” was released in 1971. He is still a regular at venues like the Cutting Room.

Newer fans know him because Elmo sang his “Simple Song” and older fans remember when he played Constitution Hall in Washington with The Birds.

But when he comes to The Globe about once a month he’s just Jim, competing against baseball games and loud conversations like any other musician. There is no cover charge and he buys his own beer.

“One of the reasons I love it is Trevor says ‘Here’s Jim’,” said Dawson, who lives in Manhattan and is Bowen’s vocal coach. “It doesn’t matter if I sold 200,000 records or zero. We’re all the same. We all got into this in the first place because it’s fun.”

Dawson came to New York City in the late 1960s, after a stint in the Navy during the Vietnam War. Because he was signed by a record company pretty quickly, playing the open mic circuit was not something he had done very often. Despite distractions the last time he played The Globe–like an overturned tray of garlic knots and Derek Jeter’s last home at bat on TV—-he somehow managed to quiet a pretty raucous room.

“When I’m doing it and I’m getting it right those are the most alive situations. I feel like I’m 18 or 19 years old again,” he said.

Dawson, who lives on the Upper West Side, has released 15 CDs and albums. He is also known for writing the opening theme for a popular German soap opera.

Money from that song allowed him to set up a home recording studio. The 1999 CD of his own live sessions in his apartment, “Therapy in Session: The Studio Concerts,” gained attention as an innovative way for musicians to release their work independently.

Dawson’s website still attracts about 2,000 visitors a month from all over the world.

Maybe he is able to arrest a noisy bar so well because he has been playing for nearly 50 years. Or maybe it’s because he tends to write Americana songs with lyrics that seem to have sprung from our own hopes and worries or that the gift to connect with the audience is just that, a gift.

Whatever the reason, the audience quiets and connects with Dawson when he is behind the mic.

“I want people to hear the words and I want them to hear what I have to say,” Dawson said. “But it is a bar for crissake.”

Yet The Globe’s open mic is not all about Dawson, or even all about music. Poets, magicians, comedians and actors are welcome as well.

“Pretty much anyone can show up, grab a beer and sign up,” said co-owner Rena Hershberger, who sings and performs at open mic night herself. “Everyone gets their 10 minutes.”

Yet Bowen admits his ultimate goal is beyond that. He’d like the bar and the neighborhood to become a destination for original, quality music and he already sees that happening.

“There have been really surprising musicians who have come and blown the socks off people,” he said. Ben Hope, who played the lead in the Broadway musical Once, and renowned Jazz guitarist Tosh Sheridan are both Globe regulars. Dawson is only adding to that momentum.

“If people think ‘this guy Jim is going to show up’ and that will bring in two more people,” Dawson said, “that’s what I think is important. I’m just trying to be one of the guys on the team.”

Open Mic Night at The Globe Tavern, located at 49-10 Skillman Avenue, will be held this Thursday and every other week.

Arthur

Jim is great and so is the open mic at the Globe. All singer songwriters from neighborhood should come down.

Mary

Records and songs have come and gone in my life but Jim Dawson’s music has stood the test of time. I’ve been fortunate to attend many of his concerts over the years. He has written a variety of songs that are thoughtful, sensual and a lot of fun! His music speaks directly to your heart. Warning: it only takes a few songs to become totally “addicted” to his music and an “intervention” will never be successful.

Bruce R.

Talked to Jim in the Long Beach library, he is down to earth ,but aspires for the clouds. If I had talent I would be with him!!

Stephen Powers

After fifty years my admiration for Jim is ever so deeper. He is the only man I know who at eighteen took his gifts and walked out on a stage and made people sing a “Simple Song”. Following one’s passion is a very monumental task for anyone….Jim makes it appear so easy. He is your best friend, your favorite uncle or your inner child, which ever, he makes you remember life as a child, as a lover and as an observer of human nature. He is the “Songman”.

Bruce

I’ve listened to Jim’s music for over thirty years. I still enjoy listening to it and hearing how melodies and words can still intertwine so perfectly

Wayne F K

Jim is one of the hardest working and kindest of Gentle Spirits I have ever met. His music is in my head almost every day of My Life, I have known his music back to 1971, when I received his Songman album as a gift from a friend whose family business was music sheet publication. As his next 2 albums were released, I quickly soffed them up, and then lost track of him after the RCA album was released. I had the pleasure of speaking and meeting with him, to buy him a “bier”, and we have been good friends since
that meeting. JD is on My Best list and always has been.

Moi

And you, sir, were “big” (or even successful at anything at all) when, exactly? Evidently, never.