You are reading

Woodside Students Return to School Without Bus Service

Sept. 8, 2010 Staff Report

Some elementary school students who live in the Big Six apartment complex in Woodside are being forced to walk to school today– due to bus service cuts.

The Department of Education has dropped its bus service to children who live at the Big Six apartment complex who attend PS 229. Therefore, the children are walking to school crossing hazardous service roads for the Brooklyn Queens Expressway and other dangerous intersections.

Yesterday, a group of parents and politicians held a rally to condemn the loss of the bus service.

“The Department of Education cannot balance its budget by risking the safety of our school children,” said Councilman Jimmy Van Bramer. “The money they plan to save cannot be worth the cost of risking a child’s life.”

Congressman Joseph Crowley described the lack of the bus service as “simply unacceptable,” adding “that this is why we are calling on the Department of Education to reinstate the bus … and provide kids with a safe passage to school once again.”

Last week, Assemblywoman Margaret Markey walked the route the children would take to school. At the time, she said: “There is something seriously wrong with the Department of Education’s review process when it decides the walking route to PS 229 is now safe for these young children after providing bus service to them for many years.”

email the author: news@queenspost.com

2 Comments

Click for Comments 
Get_to_the Point

Let me get this strait, trillions of taxpayer $$ for partisan organizations such as ACORN and SEIU; failed corporations such as GM, AIG, Citibank, 900 mil to the Palestinians, and – heck, I lost count, bail outs and slush funds up the wazoo…. yet the feds suddenly, gescrooge-like when it come to local school kids…. Thanks 0Bama.

Reply

Leave a Comment
Reply to this Comment

All comments are subject to moderation before being posted.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

Recent News

AG James announces dismantling of Queens-based ghost gun trafficking operation

New York Attorney General Letitia James announced Wednesday the takedown of a prolific Queens-based gun trafficking crew accused of selling firearms and ammo at an East Elmhurst playground, the Queens Center Mall and other locations around the borough.

James secured a 625-count indictment charging five men for participating in the gun smuggling ring, which involved selling dozens of ghost guns, assault weapons, high-capacity magazines and hundreds of rounds of ammunition.