You are reading

Station Bar on 61st Street Closed for Operating Without a Food Handling License

The exterior of the now closed Station Bar (Facebook: Patrick Sweeney)

Aug. 23, 2019 By Shane O’Brien

A popular Irish dive bar in Woodside has been shut down for over a month for operating without a food handling license, causing dismay among the bar’s patrons.

Station Bar at 39-50 61st St. was ordered to cease operations by order of the New York Commissioner of Health and Mental Hygiene on Thursday, July 18.

One patron scrawled writing over the Health Dept. notice to voice displeasure over the bar’s closure and called for the owners to reopen it. “Paddy, git dat permit fixed and open our pub again,” the patron wrote. Others took to social media to vent their frustration.

One social media user said that they would “lose their mind if anything happened to the Station,” while another called it the “last real bar in Woodside.”

The bar’s food handling license expired on Oct. 31, 2018. However, the operators continued to serve food without a permit thereafter, according to the DOH.

The DOH cited the bar for operating without a permit in February and March this year, before closing the establishment last month.

Closure notice at Station Bar (Patrick Sweeney)

The DOH said that the bar can reopen once the operators obtain a food handling license. The bar’s owners will have to pay a fine and reapply for the license. It is unclear how long it would take for an application to be approved.

The bar’s owners were unavailable for comment and it is unclear whether they intend to reapply for a license or not.

Station Bar was an Irish dive bar featuring memorabilia from Irish sports and the New York Mets among other sports teams. The establishment was formerly known as Station Cafe.

 

email the author: [email protected]

14 Comments

Click for Comments 
El Loco

I used to get chicken from the corner.store and eat it with an ice cold bud. I’m going to miss this place.

32
26
Reply
chris

The bar owner can’t comment as she passed away last December ,and I’m sure paddy isn’t the owner!!

Reply
Sunnyside_Native

Food? Really? What food? Been in there for a lifetime, and not once witnessed food being served!

13
Reply
Phil

This is a serious safety issue.

By closing this bar, they’re exposing the rest of the neighborhood to its patrons.

17
4
Reply
Ruby Rosenstein

Nyc did the right thing here. Everyone has to pay $280 a year for the permit to operate for a year. Which comes to about $25 @ month. The city sends notices leading up to the expiration date. They did this to themselves.

16
3
Reply
Sean

They transferred the Deed to ADA1, LLC in 2017. That’s a common tactic for pre development properties since the developer can be added as a member of the LLC privately and it can change hands without payments of a Deed transfer tax to the City. Bet they are going residential soon.

8
2
Reply
Fan. Of Dough Boy Park

Greatest bar in Woodside, welcomed everybody. It’s a shame, hopefully re-opens soon

21
49
Reply
Vinny Chase

You forgot to mention this bar was featured in HBO’s Entourage at “Johnny Drama’s”

16
Reply
Woodsider

This bar was also partially owned by celebrity John “Johnny” Drama in the early 2000s during that time frame it was changed into a bar / club atmosphere known as Drama’s.

8
1
Reply
Beer Drinkers and HellRaisers

Just the city looking to take money from small business as usual…..

22
1
Reply

Leave a Comment
Reply to this Comment

All comments are subject to moderation before being posted.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

Recent News

Popular places where you can watch the Super Bowl in Queens

Feb. 2, 2023 By Tammy Scileppi

Hey, football fans! Game time is fast approaching, and across the city and here in Queens, you can feel the excitement brewing as the two teams prepare to take the field on Super Bowl Sunday, Feb. 12. So, kick back and watch the big game, and don’t miss Rihanna’s exciting performance during halftime. 

Borough president hears from community members on budget needs throughout Queens

During a two-day public hearing on the mayor’s 2024 preliminary budget, Queens Borough President Donovan Richards Jr. listened to testimonies from 14 community board representatives, community stakeholders and members of the public on where the money should be spent in Queens. 

The public hearings were held both in-person and via Zoom on Monday, Jan. 30, and Tuesday, Jan. 31, at Queens Borough Hall. The testimonials will be used to develop the Queens Borough Board’s FY24 preliminary budget priorities in the coming weeks. 

‘He didn’t deserve to die’: Borough President Richards leads emotional candlelight vigil for Tyre Nichols

Queens Borough President Donovan Richards held a candlelight vigil for Tyre Nichols outside Queens Borough Hall Monday, Jan. 30 after Nichols’ death at the hands of police officers in Memphis, Tenn., made national headlines for the brutality in which the officers beat him.

Almost immediately after news broke about Nichols’ death, the Memphis police officers who beat him to death were fired and charged with murder. The police department released the body cam footage of the fatal beating on Jan. 27, but many people, including some at the vigil, have refused to watch it due to its extremely graphic nature.

Op-Ed: This Year’s State Budget Must Prioritize Climate, Jobs, and Justice for New York

Op-Ed, Jan. 30, By Assemblymember Jessica González-Rojas

In a time of rampant economic inequality and environmental injustice, it is easy to feel defeated.  Here in Queens and across New York State, however, communities are organizing for a better future. New Yorkers from different backgrounds and with different lived experiences are proving that we can build community, organize, and create a future that reflects our shared values.

LaGuardia Community College receives federal funding to expand vocational training for the unemployed

Jan. 27, 2023 By Bill Parry

LaGuardia Community College recently received more than $400,000 in federal funding to enhance and expand vocational training for underemployed New Yorkers in a city that is still working to recover from COVID-19 pandemic-induced job loss. The support was secured by U.S. Senators Charles Schumer and Kirsten Gillibrand, Congresswoman Nydia Velázquez and former Congresswoman Carolyn B. Maloney.