Ocasio-Cortez Viewed Favorably by Majority of Voters in Her District: Poll

Poll: Forty-eight percent of voters surveyed in CD14 said they would vote to reelect Ocasio-Cortez in 2020 (Flickr)

April 10, 2019 By Laura Hanrahan

Representative Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez is viewed favorably by the majority of voters in her district, according to a new poll released by Siena College Research Institute.

The poll, which surveyed 607 voters by phone in Congressional District 14, which covers portions of The Bronx and western Queens, found that 52 percent of voters viewed Ocasio-Cortez favorably, with 48 percent of all voters and 61 percent of Democrats saying they would vote to reelect her in 2020. The survey found that 33 percent of respondents view her unfavorably.

“Although it is very early, with nearly half of all voters and 61 percent of Democrats saying that they would vote to re-elect Ocasio-Cortez in 2020, she may be in position to represent this district for at least another term,” said Siena College Research Institute Director Don Levy.

14th Congressional District

While only 25 percent of those surveyed said they would describe themselves as Democratic Socialists, the study found overwhelming support for many of the key issues Ocasio-Cortez is advocating for in Washington. Free tuition at public universities was supported by 76 percent of surveyed voters, with 73 percent supporting a federal guarantee of a job that pays a living wage. Both Medicare for all and an assault weapons ban were supported by 75 percent of voters.

Receiving smaller, but still significant support, 59 percent of respondents backed taxing income above $10 million at 60 percent or more; with 52 percent behind impeaching Donald Trump.

The Green New Deal, one of Ocasio-Cortez’s largest focuses in Congress which aims to address climate change, received a much smaller 41 percent of overall support, with 51 percent of Democrats and 11 percent of Republicans in favor. On this topic, only 61 percent of those surveyed provided a response.

But survey respondents differed with Ocasio-Cortez over Amazon.

Fifty-seven percent of CD 14 voters think it was bad for New York that Amazon cancelled its plans to build a new headquarters in Long Island City while 32 percent say it was good for New York, and by 58-35 percent, voters in CD 14 support Governor Cuomo’s efforts to woo Amazon to reconsider its decision.

VelvetKnight

Which poll said she was a 99% shoe in? Is it the one that also said 82% of all statistics are made up?

tootiestooters

Headline should be “Poll proves that majority of residents in Sunnyside are progressive idiots” – but I repeat myself when I use the word “idiot”. I have noticed that it is mostly white hipsters who show up at her “events”.

Good

I hope sunnyside will be the hub of sanctuary city for undocumented immigrants, sunnyside need well over 1 million undocumented immigrant people from south America and sunnyside do have capability for do so. Sunnyside and AOC stand strong against racism and evil companies like Amazon or google or city bank, entire world saw we kick out Amazon. I wish sunnyside will be major sanctuary city for undocumented immigrants for people from all over the world.

wat

Maybe you shouldn’t be gullible enough to believe Trump when he said all brown people are rapists and murderers?

A.Bundy

didnt know the area was growing so much. time to triple the rent. enjoy. and thanks for the heads up! couldn’t have made me richer without you.

Leslie dolittle

Who are these peeps that are in favor of her ?? I do not see her doing any good for the community except she has time to go reply back to every comment on Twitter SHE IS A TOTAL DISGRACE . I certainly did not vote for her .

Woodsider

I’m a big supporter of AOC and I’m pleased as punch that she’s my representative in Congress. I understand that some of my neighbors have different views, but I don’t think they’re stupid just because they don’t agree with her initiatives or political ideology. All I ask is that these neighbors consider for a moment that my fellow AOC supporters and I are not supportive of her because we’re big fat morons who don’t understand how the world works. That’s not a huge ask. It’s actually totally doable, and not that difficult.

Jack Doe

LIES. If you haven’t figured it out yet, the purpose of such polls is to convince you that everyone else likes her, so you’ll do it to.

Roxy

Never heard of Siena College. Is it one of those places that accept admission bribes for children of the rich and famous?

Anonymous

That would be every college and university. The press has gone nuts because the bribes went to some mutt instead of the colleges and universities. This case is a joke.

Trump has given at least $1.5 million to Wharton, which Trump Jr. and his sister Ivanka also attended.

Her parents weren’t rich or famous, AOC had to work 2 jobs when her father died of cancer.

You’re thinking of the president.

Thomas Buckley

“The problem with socialism is that you will eventually run out of other peoples money.”
Margaret Thatcher

good pick

Thatcher’s policies were devastating, you may want a different fear-mongering hero

VelvetKnight

“The problem with capitalism is that eventually people run out of money to spend in your store.”

That line makes EXACTLY as much sense as Thatcher’s absurd quote.

Anonymous

With this ridiculous gerrymandered district I don’t doubt that the “vote for me, I’ll give you free stuff “ rep is popular.

Princess Vespa

Ummm… Just so that you know… Abraham Lincoln had very little formal education and ended up being the most insightful, level headed and REAL politician ever.

Education means very little, especially today. A little piece of my heart dies whenever I meet an administrator who displays poor education. Libary. Ambalance. Ridikalus. My personal favorite: ideaRs. (Where the freak is the R in idea?)

Tyronne Fauntleroy

Ah yes the polls and surveys. Just like they said Hillary was a 99% shoe in for the presidency .She will not pass one piece of legislation . She cant balance a check book or make good on her financial obligations . Where is the money tree? where is the tree of moray with leaves of money??

Neziah Bliss

Extremely proud to call her my Congresswoman, and I am overjoyed that she has the amazing ability at taking all the hate that comes her way and turning it against the haters. If you were half awake in Sunnyside last year, you’d remember she is a hell of a retail campaigner as well. She has proven herself in the office for the last 4 months beyond my wildest expectations. I’m normally a moderate, but I applaud AOC by every benchmark.

Bla bla

Just shows how easy the vulnerable masses can be lead when her constituents fall in behind her without a clear understanding what platform she stands on. Her response is always to attack and knock any agenda that is not in line with her views. that, for want of a better word is called a “Socialist”. Good luck in the future with Miss Cortez and let me know how the hopey changey thing works out

Gwen stacy

what has she done i would like to know? has she done anything really in the community? i want to know what she has done for the district itself besides yell at ppl like thats going to get her anywhere.

tootiestooters

“federal guaranteed income” – Ms. Occasional Vortex can give us part of her salary. Who are these tools?

tootiestooters

Do not believe this poll. She is a certified fool. Is Siena the organization that predicted Hillary’s victory? Yup!

Amazontard

You Trumptards believed “Siena” when they said most New Yorkers wanted Amazon to come. But now you don’t believe their polls?

Ernie Pyle

Being in favor of Amazon and being a “Trumptard” are two very different things. Support for Amazon was highest in non-white communities; both hispanics and African Americans by large margins supported Amazon’s corporate headquarters in Queens.

MethBezos

So the Siena polls are accurate only when it favors the opinions of Amzontards like you. But they are wrong if you don’t agree with them

MJ Drage

52% of 607 is NOT the majority of District 14 in any way shape or form. AOC is a nightmare. A one time Rep. Good riddens to bad rubbish.

Gwen stacy

i believe MJ is saying those who voted is the majority of the district -_- its just the majority who voted in those polls.

Gerald

Yea, I hate representatives that stand up for the lower and middle class and attack businesses who take advantage….. PLEASE give me a break, MJ Drage

Gwen stacy

and how do you know that she is fighting for her constituents? let me tell you i have been trying to call for her to help with a community issue and all i get is we don’t do that. i would like to know what she really has done for the district.

Roberto

The survey was probably done in the Bronx section of her area .Queens peeps are not that gullible.

A Sunnysider

I took the poll and my household was in the over 100k income bracket with an education rate at over a masters degree. I also have lived in Sunnyside since I was 6 years old, now I’m 24! So no, not the Bronx. People want change, people want to support new fresh ideas and politicians who actually represent their demographic.

Maria

Free ? yeah, there’s nothing free anymore .The middle class tax paying fool are the ones that are footing the bill already, we don’t need anymore populist ideas.

Alma de Cubano

But on foxed-up-news they say we don’t like her. I’m so confused I don’t even know if I like her!!

SuperWittySmitty

If you really listen to her you will soon realize she thinks before she speaks and usually makes a lot of sense. I’m glad she was elected and hope she’ll be around for a while. It’s also fun watching her detractors try to score a point against her. You can sense their frustration at not even knowing where to begin.

Gardens Watcher

I’m listening to her speak and reading her online comments. Did she really think before blasting the Amazon deal online? Not a great start for her and the poll shows it.

Gardens Watcher

Wow, since when is being critical of a public official’s decision, position on an issue, or a vote become a game or a war against that person?

Ernie Pyle

With AOC, there soon will be no such thing as “illegal” immigrants. Open borders, come one come all, free healthcare, living wage and education for everybody!!

Anonymous

Can you see how many dislikes you get? You just became racist trump supporter. Who cares about education or educational funds! It’s more important to have free education for everyone than better education for tax payers child. Don’t be racist, we all sink together.