Jan. 14, 2016 Staff Report
More than 200 students at PS 12 in Woodside stayed home from school Thursday following the outbreak of a stomach virus, according to officials.
The stomach bug known as norovirus has sickened scores of children at the school.
The Department of Education said that 130 students were absent from the 42-00 72nd Street school on Wednesday and 210 Thursday. The school has about 1,275 students.
Department of Health officials were disinfecting the K-5 school Thursday and would be continuing to do so through the weekend.
Norovirus is the most common food borne disease in the U.S. and accounts for 19 million to 21 million cases a year, according to the U.S. Centers for Disease Control.
Symptoms include nausea, vomiting and stomach pain and are usually not fatal.