You are reading

More Than 15,500 New Yorkers Have Received COVID-19 Funeral Aid

Stock image (Photo by Mayron Oliveira on Unsplash)

Oct. 7, 2021 By Allie Griffin

More than 15,500 New Yorkers have received a total of $107 million to help bury their loved ones who died of COVID-19.

The recipients were able to tap into the funds from the federal COVID-19 Funeral Assistance Program, which recently expanded eligibility after facing pressure from two local legislators. The expansion allowed 1,600 additional people to receive funds.

The FEMA program helps families pay, or be reimbursed, for the funeral expenses of their loved ones who died of the coronavirus.

However, many people who lost family members early into the pandemic were unable to access the funds because the program required that the deceased’s death certificate list COVID-19 as the cause of death.

Early in the pandemic, hospitals had limited COVID-19 testing and knowledge of the virus’ varied presentations — which meant the official cause of death was not always listed as the coronavirus despite its probability.

U.S. Senator Charles Schumer and Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez announcing the program last year (Photo: @SenSchumer)

Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez and Sen. Chuck Schumer pushed FEMA to loosen this requirement so more people could access funeral assistance.

“From the start, we stressed to FEMA that this program needed to put accessibility first,” Ocasio-Cortez and Schumer said in a joint statement. “We cannot have families, who have already lost so much, burdened by impossible bureaucratic obstacles.”

The agency agreed.

On June 29, FEMA changed its policy to allow applicants who lost a relative between Jan. 20, 2020 and May 16, 2020 to instead provide a signed letter from the original certifier of the death certificate or the local medical examiner or coroner certifying the cause of death was likely COVID-19.

The policy change resulted in more than 1,600 New Yorkers receiving a combined $10 million in reimbursement for burial expenses. Each applicant was able to receive up to $9,000 per burial retroactively.

“We’re grateful to FEMA for working with us to make this change so that families in need could get some of the relief they need,” the legislators said.

FEMA is still accepting applications via phone at 844-684-6333.

email the author: news@queenspost.com

7 Comments

Click for Comments 
It’s a handout when it goes to poor. It’s sound business when it goes to wealthy

Jim- This handout is still less than Trumps $750 Fed Tax Bill handout.

7
4
Reply
ABoondy

thanks for disrespecting those that lost their loved ones, especially kids that were orphaned, lost everything, and suffered greatly. hope you get to experience it too.

5
1
Reply
Jim

ABoondy: you are as stupid as the name you’re trying to copy. Unlike your family and others like yours my family has never taken government handouts. We work, we save and we invest. We prepare for emergencies and don’t overextend ourselves. We don’t have children if we can’t afford to support them properly. We don’t buy expensive electrical appliances and not buy home insurance and cry for the government to put us up at hotels indefinitely when there is a fire. If more families were like mine maybe this would be a better country because we are responsible not like you.

1
1
Reply
Did you return your stimulus check yet?

Jim when did you return your stimulus check from Trump? Obviously you don’t need it because you “work, save and invest” right?

Reply
Did you return your stimulus check yet?

You’re offended that poor families in mourning are able to hold funerals. The right really has no compassion at all.

6
5
Reply

Leave a Comment
Reply to this Comment

All comments are subject to moderation before being posted.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

Recent News

Crunching the Queens crime numbers: grand larcenies down across borough, rapes halved in the north, robberies decrease in the south

Apr. 17, 2024 By Ethan Marshall

The number of grand larcenies across Queens was down during the 28-day period from March 18 to April 14, compared to the same period of time last year, according to the latest crime stats released by the NYPD Monday. At the same time, rapes and robberies decreased significantly in northern and southern Queens, respectively.