Modell’s to Open Sunnyside/LIC Store Thursday

modells

Photo: QueensPost

Feb. 11, 2015 Staff Report

Modell’s Sporting Goods is opening a new store on the border of Sunnyside and Long Island City.

The official address is 3500 48th Street, located in the same mall area as Petland Discounts and National Wholesale Liquidators.

Employees will be holding a grand opening event at the store Thursday.

Ez E

Agree 1 million %. Went across the street to Party City, came out 15 minutes later to see my car about to be towed. Beware those bastards!

House of O'Shea

Modells is a great job creator especially for the young ones. Bought my favorite winter jacket there. High school, 1997, sophomore year. This thing still Looks great! Guess where it was made in?

Dorothy Morehead

I like Modell’s. I’ve always found the staff at the Steinway store very helpful. This store is closer and has plenty of free parking.

Roxy

South Pole has been taking delivery of so much new merchandise in recent weeks that there’s hardly room in the aisles for shoppers. Senior discount is given only on Mondays.

Sunnysideposthatesme17

I see this working. Now if they can get rid of that extra large 7-11 that stuffs crates upon crates of JUNK on the sidewalk where people have to walk. I mean…isn’t their store already full of junk? Why put more junk on the sidewalk???

El loco

Would have been better if it was where South Pole is on Queens Boulevard. Maybe the worst store in Sunnyside. Ok, I’m sure that someone will write in and say that their mother gets discounted girdles every Wednesday at South Pole.

Sunnyside Calling

South Pole has great deals on odd-lot items, including a lot of pricey food items. If you don;t like it, stay away.

South Side Johnny

That whole shopping plaza makes me pessimistic. Nat’l Lqdtrs is NOT a anchor store. I go over there for Stop n Shop & Home Depot; otherwise, it’s not much of a shopping destination. If they would put in a high-end store that capitalizes on the Northern Blvd traffic, great, but otherwise there is a lot of low-end merchandise being peddled.

nobody

Guarantee you they leave the “Grand Opening” flags up for the next 3 years until they go out of business.

VelvetKnight

That’s nothing. When I lived in Astoria there was a store right under the Ditmars stop that had “Going out of Business Sale” signs up for about 5 years or so. They’d even print new versions every couple of weeks to plaster the windows. They never had more than 1/3 of the store filled with merchandise, none any cheaper than you’d find anywhere else. Then one day they actually closed, and I couldn’t believe it.

Express Wacko

I believe David Is also right, I took a look at the photo and It looks like the two stores were taken over by Modell’s

Margie

So what that Sports Authority is several, several blocks away — they have different prices and more afforadable merchandise!!! Just something else to complain about!!!

Ez E

Not sure about your experiences there, but I did not particularly like the treatment at Dan Rinaldo’s. I’ve been living in Woodside my entire life, and I walked in there to make a team order for uniforms and the guy was a real jerk to me. I understand it’s been there forever, but I’d rather have this and Sports Authority close by to give me more options when I need sports stuff