Live music, food trucks, dancing, and more at international festival in Sunnyside Gardens this weekend

July 18, 2017 By Nathaly Pesantez

An international music festival is coming to Sunnyside Gardens Park (48-21 39th Avenue) this weekend, with three live musical acts, food trucks, family activities and beer.

Queens United International Party, as the event is called, will take place on Saturday from 4 p.m. to 10 p.m., rain or shine.

The festival will start with music from the Brooklyn Raga Massive, an Indian classical musician collective representing “raga” inspired music, and will feature internationally renowned Indian mandolin player Snehasish Mozumder.

At 6 p.m., the Akoko Nante Ensemble, a five-person percussion and vocal group based in Queens, will play Pan African music.

Radio Jarocho, a band playing jarocho music from Veracruz, Mexico, will top off the night of performances, with a show at 7:30 p.m.

Rob Weisberg, a DJ for the Transpacific Sound Paradise segment of the Jersey City based independent community radio station WFMU, will play mixes between sets.

There will be plenty to eat and drink at the event, with Indonesian, Mexican, and Halal food available. There will also be craft beer and wine.

The event has taken two months to plan and was conceived by writer Adam DeGraff, who has lived in Sunnyside for four years.

“There are so many cultures in Queens,” DeGraff said about his thought process in creating the event. “I thought of something that was about diversity and inclusivity and welcoming everybody.”

“Seeing everybody dance and get into the spirit of the music is what I’m most looking forward to,” DeGraff said.

There is no admission fee. However, a $5 donation is suggested.

More information on the event can be found on the Sunnyside Gardens Park site or on the Facebook event page.

El loco

As I predicted the Halal guy was there and at the end of the event he refused to leave. He said I get along with everyone. I’ve been here for 20 years without a problem. Why do they want me to leave. Then he was told that the event was over and he left.

El loco

I went to the event and it was awful. Music terrible and the food gave me the runs. Some good looking women though. Yes, the halal food vendor was there.

Tootsietooters

All of my fellow haters can meet me at the roof of Stop and Shop where I will be holding a RIVAL event.

Featuring various canned meats, Hamms bottle beer, and we’ll listen to my collection of Frank Sinatra and Kid Rock tapes. RSVP

Elizabeth Cauvel

I think this looks awesome. Super excited to try some amazing local food and hear some live music! Love living in Sunnyside!

Oil, Beef, Hooked

I am very surprised there are negative comments on this event.

Many of the folks that comment here are my friends who love Dunkin Donuts and get slices of pizza from 7-11. Reasonable and seasonable people — every last one.

SurfeRoss

Sounds like a fun way to bring the neighborhood together. I look forward to it, and I’m looking forward to checking out these bands.

Part Eggplant

Of course it has to be CRAFT beer. God forbid any of these pretentious people pour anything else down their throats.

Fan of Dough boy park(original)

There is life beyond Budweiser, try some new beers, a lot of good local breweries building up in area.

Fan of Dough boy park(original)

A Gary gygax reference! Yes! Hopefully some D&D breaks out, if not I’ll bring my Axis and Allies game

Sunnyside_Native

What a difference a generation makes! I’d love to have seen an event like this be approved by the board 20 years ago, hahahahahahaha! Too bad they’re all gone, they’d give these bunch of dirty hippies a good run for their $$$$.

Ted

I love diversity. That’s why I send my kids to a charter school. It’s not in the neighborhood (too many non whites in those public schools–oh wait I meant I analyzed test scores and made decision based on that) but I can still watch Anthony Bourdain and say hell yeah I’m all about diversity cuz I live in sunnyside gardens which is in queens. And I can tell my friends. I actually did eat food from a truck when it was parked in the private park. I felt just like Anthony. I’m so proud of myself. I put a pic on Facebook so my lame friends who live in the suburbs can see what it’s like to be a real liberal.

I am reality

these phony liberals love to go on about how diverse queens is but they would all move if the people who will be onstage that night moved into the neighborhood.

El loco

Indonesian and Halal food? Yeesh! What food trucks are going to be there? The guy near the 40th street station who won’t leave. Whose sponsoring this festival ISIS? Snehasish Mozumder. What the heck is that? I’m not coming. Ok, maybe for a little while when Brooklyn Raga Massive comes on. Not!

Sadaf

EL Loco, do you know what does the word Halal mean? I am sure you don’t. Let me help, Halal means clean. If you are used to eating unclean food that is your choice, but it is shame that you link clean food to ISIS who is mainly supported financially and … by….

El loco

Halal may mean clean to you but it means I’m not going to work the next day if I eat it. And I’m sure the vendor at the 40th street station who was told to leave endlessly but won’t will be there. It also seems like most people agree with me.

El loco

Wow are you actually keeping track of every article. You need a life!

Observation

The comment section is always filled with trolls. It really shows their Karma about their neighborhood.

Good luck to the music festival!

Malorie Archer

I win I win!!! All it took is two comments — TWO COMMENTS — for us to get to ISIS and a terrorism invasion. My friends said it was going to be at least 7 but I said 2. Thanks El Loco – you just won me $50.

Anonymous

Al-Araf Halal Fried Chicken and Frozen Delights, a restaurant in Jackson Heights, has been closed by the Department of Health (DOH).

The restaurant, located on 76-03 37th Avenue, was closed due to several sanitary violations, including evidence of mice present in the restaurant’s food areas, live roaches, and food not being protected from potential contamination during storage.

The DOH inspection took place on July 18.

Menu items in the fast-food halal restaurant include french fries, chicken sandwiches, kebabs, pizza and burgers.

The following violations were listed by the DOH, with the first six labeled as “critical”.

Sanitary Violations
1) Cold food item held above 41º F (smoked fish and reduced oxygen packaged foods above 38 ºF) except during necessary preparation.
2) Evidence of mice or live mice present in facility’s food and/or non-food areas.
3) Live roaches present in facility’s food and/or non-food areas.
4) Filth flies or food/refuse/sewage-associated (FRSA) flies present in facility’s food and/or non-food areas. Filth flies include house flies, little house flies, blow flies, bottle flies and flesh flies. Food/refuse/sewage-associated flies include fruit flies, drain flies and Phorid flies.
5) Hand washing facility not provided in or near food preparation area and toilet room. Hot and cold running water at adequate pressure to enable cleanliness of employees not provided at facility. Soap and an acceptable hand-drying device not provided.
6) Food not protected from potential source of contamination during storage, preparation, transportation, display or service.
7) Facility not vermin proof. Harborage or conditions conducive to attracting vermin to the premises and/or allowing vermin to exist.

QueenieQ

Why so negative? If you don’t like it, then don’t participate. Why spew your toxic energy all over? Do you feel better now?

SurfeRoss

What part of yuppies are you jealous of? A) Young B) Urban C) Professional D) All the above