You are reading

Hip Hop Artist Nas to Host Concert at Forest Hills Stadium Next Month to Benefit City Harvest

Hip Hop artist Nas (via Forest Hills Stadium)

Aug. 9, 2021 By Allie Griffin

Hip Hop artist and former Queens resident Nas will return to the borough to perform a concert next month benefitting a local nonprofit.

Nas will host and perform at the “Concert to Feed NYC” at Forest Hills Stadium on Sept. 23. Proceeds from the concert will go to City Harvest, the city’s largest food rescue organization.

The fundraiser comes at a time when many New York City families are struggling to put food on the table in the midst of the pandemic.

The Grammy-winning rapper — who was born in Brooklyn and raised in the Queensbridge Houses in Long Island City — released his newest album “King’s Disease II” last week.

The Forest Stadium concert will be Nas’ first live performance in his home borough in nearly three years.

“I am looking forward to returning to stage for a performance in my hometown—especially since it supports a cause I care deeply about,” Nas said in a statement.

The concert will help support City Harvest’s mission to ensure that no New Yorker is left hungry.

The number of hungry New Yorkers surged across the city during the pandemic.

More than 1.5 million New Yorkers now experience food insecurity — a 38 percent increase over pre-pandemic figures. Furthermore, 1 in 3 children in NYC are now food insecure, according to City Harvest.

The nonprofit has stepped up it efforts during the crisis.

City Harvest has distributed more than 190 million pounds of food during the pandemic — double the average amount during pre-pandemic times — to hundreds of soup kitchens and food pantries across the five boroughs. The organization rescued the unused food from restaurants and retailers.

“The Concert to Feed NYC will help us rescue and deliver more food for the many New Yorkers who are struggling to put meals on their tables because of the pandemic, many for the first time,” said Jilly Stephens, CEO of City Harvest. “We are so grateful to have a dedicated and passionate friend in Nas who will create such a special evening to support our work. Together, we can feed our city.”

To support the effort, Forest Hills Stadium is offering the venue free of charge and clothing brand DKNY, an event sponsor, will create exclusive merchandise for the concert, with sales benefiting City Harvest.

“I’m a huge Nas fan and a big believer in the important work City Harvest does,” said Rob Pohly, founder of Samlyn Capital, who will underwrite all venue-related expenses for the event. “I’m excited to be a part of this incredible evening of awesome music, all to help feed New Yorkers in need.”

The Concert to Feed NYC will have seats available for 4,000 guests. Tickets go on sale on Friday, Aug. 13 at 10 a.m. on ForestHillsStadium.com. Tickets range in price from $75 for general admission to $500 for VIP experiences.

The event organizers have not announced any opening performers yet.

email the author: news@queenspost.com

5 Comments

Click for Comments 
Does he get paid less

If he smiles???

Never understand this. SMILE. You’ll look friendlier and non threatening!!!

Reply
Lia

The public is getting so many mixed messages regarding covid precautions. On one hide we are being told to be careful due to the alarming delta strain and on the other hand we are having concerts and telling people to go party in large groups. Less people ate wearing masks including in markets. I walked into a market yesterday and neither the staff nor the customers were wearing masks.

Reply
please leave guns at home kids

13,000 hip hop kids descend on beautiful Forest Hills after drinking on the subway ride over…. what could possibly go wring!!?

7
4
Reply

Leave a Comment
Reply to this Comment

All comments are subject to moderation before being posted.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

Recent News

AG James announces dismantling of Queens-based ghost gun trafficking operation

New York Attorney General Letitia James announced Wednesday the takedown of a prolific Queens-based gun trafficking crew accused of selling firearms and ammo at an East Elmhurst playground, the Queens Center Mall and other locations around the borough.

James secured a 625-count indictment charging five men for participating in the gun smuggling ring, which involved selling dozens of ghost guns, assault weapons, high-capacity magazines and hundreds of rounds of ammunition.