You are reading

Fire That Ripped Through Several Sunnyside Businesses Stemmed From Faulty Wiring in Himalayan Restaurant: FDNY

The FDNY has released a report detailing the cause of a massive fire that ripped through a number of storefronts on Queen Boulevard on Aug. 12 (FDNY via Twitter)

Dec. 13, 2021 By Michael Dorgan

The FDNY has released a report detailing the cause of a massive fire that ripped through a number of storefronts on Queens Boulevard in August.

The four-alarm fire took place at around 7:15 a.m. on  Aug. 12 and engulfed five businesses located on the corner of Queens Boulevard and 44th Street. The storefronts include restaurants Mad for Chicken, Bajeko Sekuwa and Mad Cafe, as well as a Japanese market called Taiyo Foods and skincare salon Yeserith Esthetics.

The official incident report states that the blaze was caused by faulty electrical wiring inside Bajeko Sekuwa Himalayan Grill, located at 43-16 Queens Blvd. A preliminary investigation by the FDNY initially suggested that the fire erupted inside Taiyo Foods.

The fire, according to the final report, broke out above a drop ceiling to the rear of the Himalayan restaurant. The blaze then spread throughout the roof area and tore into the adjoining storefronts.

Several businesses remain closed– including Mad for Chicken, Bajeko Sekuwa and Mad Cafe–following a fire that took place on Queens Boulevard on Aug. 12 (Photo: Queens Post)

More than 200 fire and EMS personnel responded to the blaze, and the business owners along the strip were forced to vacate.

None of the storefronts have reopened, although the owners of Taiyo Foods have announced that they are relocating to 42-02 43rd Ave. and expect to be open before Christmas.

The operators of Bajeko Sekuwa could not be reached for comment.

Sunnyside Shines, a local business improvement district, created a GoFundMe hours after the blaze to support workers who lost income due to the fire. The fundraiser generated nearly $42,000, with more than 750 people contributing.

The blaze was the second major fire to tear through stores on Queens Boulevard in the past three years. A Dec. 13, 2018 fire decimated several businesses— including Sidetracks,  Zen Yai, UPS, Romantic Depot and New York Style Eats. The storefronts have since been demolished.

email the author: [email protected]

10 Comments

Click for Comments 
Johnny

Mad Cafe was a great spot for the community. I really hope they reopen soon. That entire building was sold a few years, the fire seems VERY suspect and too much of a coincidence as they were planning on building up anyway.

6
2
Reply
Observer

It’s such a shane we have lost so many good restaurants. So detracts had just renovated, now they’re gone for good. We lost a good ribs place too.

5
1
Reply
Bill

Condo time! Attention developers: you know the drill! make sure they are plenty more 400 sq ft boxes, awful brick architecture, proper allocation of ‘affordable’ 2100/month studios and zero retail benefit to the community! Don’t forget to create some faux PR about how you care about the Sunnyside community so you can build 6 or 9 stories!

25
3
Reply
MSNBC + CNN

AOC says the fire didnt happen, not enough data! Psaki says covid did it. Biden is sleeping in Delaware. Harris, for some reason, is laughing uncontrollably at the FDNY report.

22
18
Reply
There is stupid then there is Fox Stupid

Weak minded gullible anankastic individuals should avoid cable news and the topic of what they’re tricked into believing is “politics”. For they’re being manipulated and weaponized. Early signs are a fixation on taking points ultimately manifesting and leading to actions like storming the Capitol and conveying threats.

10
6
Reply
Joe

All of you mindless idiots automatically blame greedy landlords. The owners of this restaurant took a short cut to save money and caused massive damage to peoples businesses and a neighborhood. This type of thing really hurts Sunnyside. The owners of that restaurant should be charged with a crime. Instead they will walk away and open another restaurant with faulty wiring somewhere else.

15
4
Reply
43rd&43rd

Why do you assume it’s the restaurant’s fault rather than the landlord’s? The report says the fire started inside the ceiling, inside the insulation. Isn’t that all the landlord’s responsibility? I don’t think too many renters are installing or messing with insulation.

Reply
Skeptical

Fires in Sunnyside always seem sketchy. How come it’s always single story storefronts? Starting from the Korean restaurant years ago.

29
1
Reply
Thank God for the FDNY

Could it have been rodents chewing on the wires? Rats and mice are health hazards in more ways than one.

27
5
Reply

Leave a Comment
Reply to this Comment

All comments are subject to moderation before being posted.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

Recent News

LaGuardia Community College receives federal funding to expand vocational training for the unemployed

LaGuardia Community College recently received more than $400,000 in federal funding to enhance and expand vocational training for underemployed New Yorkers in a city that is still working to recover from COVID-19 pandemic-induced job loss. The support was secured by U.S. Senators Charles Schumer and Kirsten Gillibrand, Congresswoman Nydia Velázquez and former Congresswoman Carolyn B. Maloney.

LaGuardia Community College President Kenneth Adams explained that the school lost nearly a quarter of its students at the height of the pandemic due to the economic effects of the lockdown on low-income Queens households.

BP launches new advisory panel for youth to become civically engaged in the future of Queens

In an effort to get more young people involved in civics, Queens Borough President Donovan Richards has created a new advisory panel known as the Youth and Young Adult Council to introduce the “youngest and fiercest” community advocates to both community service and organization.

Members of the advisory body will advocate concerns through means of community engagement by participating in one of two cohorts. The first will be made up of high school representatives between the ages of 13 and 17, while the second cohort will be comprised of young adults between the ages of 18 and 25.

Raga sworn in as first-ever Filipino American elected to the state Legislature

More than 300 community members attended the historic inauguration of Assemblyman Steven Raga as the first Filipino American elected to office in New York state.

Many who attended the swearing-in event at the Queens Museum in Flushing Meadows Corona Park wore traditional and cultural attire to the event at the building that once housed the General Assembly of the newly formed United Nations from 1946-50 until its current home in Manhattan became available for the world body.