You are reading

Fire Breaks Out in Sunnyside Restaurant, Opened Just Three Days Prior

 

Nov. 9, 2015 By Christian Murray

A fire broke out inside a Queens Blvd restaurant Monday that had only just opened three days ago.

The fire took place inside the kitchen at Zio Luigi, an Italian restaurant located at 42-15 Queens Blvd, that had only opened on Saturday. There were no injuries, although the kitchen was badly damaged.

The fire was called in at about 7:00 pm and it took the FDNY about 30 minutes to put it out.

Luis Bermejo, the owner of the restaurant, said the wood behind the sheet metal in the kitchen caught fire as a result of the heat.

fire2A disappointed Bermejo said that it took him much longer than expected to open the restaurant and it is likely to take a few weeks before he reopens.

“I spent six months on getting open and now this,” he said in a soft tone. “I have a family to take care of it.”

He said that he will be talking with his insurance company tomorrow.

Zio Luigi is Bermejo’s first restaurant. Prior to opening, he had worked at Italian restaurants in Manhattan for 14 years.

His restaurant focuses on offering fresh pastas and “new world Italian” cuisine.

The restaurant is located next door to PJ Horgan’s which had a kitchen fire in April and has since closed for good. PJ Horgan’s was located in a building owned by John Ciafone, who plans to develop it.

Bermejo has a different landlord and has a 15-year lease.

Bermejo said that just before the fire broke out a woman had just finished dinner. “She told me how much she liked it, especially the dessert. Then this happens.”

Louis in kitchen

Luis Bermejo in kitchen

 

email the author: [email protected]

13 Comments

Click for Comments 
Scott

What a disappointment. My wife and I had dinner there on opening night and the food was very good. We were looking forward to going back and trying other dishes on the menu. Guess we’ll just have to wait.

Reply
Ty Sullivan

My family and I will be there to support Bermjo when he reopens. I encourage everyone to do so as well. Let’s give this guy a “It’s a Wonderful Life” moment upon the restaurants return and make him the richest man in Sunnyside!

Reply
OldenDays

this really stinks. i didn’t even know the place was open yet. poor guy, i hope his insurance takes care of it. i know the places have different landlords but it does seem VERY strange that two fires would happen right next to each other like that. fires are really not that common, even in restaurant kitchens. perhaps there is something wrong with the gas hookups or piping on this block?

Reply
Sunnyslide

I didn’t know this place had opened already. Good luck to the owner, and a speedy return to business!

Reply
Kramden's Delicious Marshall

This happened right next to PJ Horgan’s which also had a fire recently.

Heck of a coincidence.

Reply
Jake

PJ’s has a suspicious fire and then this restaurant has a suspicious fire. I hope they question the landlord who’s trying to sell the block.

Reply

Leave a Comment
Reply to this Comment

All comments are subject to moderation before being posted.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

Recent News

LaGuardia Community College receives federal funding to expand vocational training for the unemployed

LaGuardia Community College recently received more than $400,000 in federal funding to enhance and expand vocational training for underemployed New Yorkers in a city that is still working to recover from COVID-19 pandemic-induced job loss. The support was secured by U.S. Senators Charles Schumer and Kirsten Gillibrand, Congresswoman Nydia Velázquez and former Congresswoman Carolyn B. Maloney.

LaGuardia Community College President Kenneth Adams explained that the school lost nearly a quarter of its students at the height of the pandemic due to the economic effects of the lockdown on low-income Queens households.

BP launches new advisory panel for youth to become civically engaged in the future of Queens

In an effort to get more young people involved in civics, Queens Borough President Donovan Richards has created a new advisory panel known as the Youth and Young Adult Council to introduce the “youngest and fiercest” community advocates to both community service and organization.

Members of the advisory body will advocate concerns through means of community engagement by participating in one of two cohorts. The first will be made up of high school representatives between the ages of 13 and 17, while the second cohort will be comprised of young adults between the ages of 18 and 25.

Raga sworn in as first-ever Filipino American elected to the state Legislature

More than 300 community members attended the historic inauguration of Assemblyman Steven Raga as the first Filipino American elected to office in New York state.

Many who attended the swearing-in event at the Queens Museum in Flushing Meadows Corona Park wore traditional and cultural attire to the event at the building that once housed the General Assembly of the newly formed United Nations from 1946-50 until its current home in Manhattan became available for the world body.