You are reading

Department of Transportation to Make Significant Changes to Deadly Woodside Intersection

April 1, 2014 By Christian Murray

The Department of Transportation is about to make some significant improvements to a Woodside intersection where an 8-year-old boy was fatally struck in December, as part of its push to increase pedestrian safety under Vision Zero.

Noshat Nahian, who was walking to PS 152 on the last day of school before the holidays, was killed at the intersection of Northern Boulevard and 61st Street when he was hit by an unlicensed truck driver. Since then elected officials have been calling on the DOT to produce a comprehensive study of the intersection as well as redesign it.

The DOT’s improvements aim to make it easier for pedestrians to cross the six-lane roadway. Meanwhile, they will also increase driver visibility and change the flow of traffic.

“Our renewed focus on pedestrian safety under Vision Zero makes locations such as Northern Boulevard an immediate priority,” wrote Dalila Hall, in a letter addressed to elected officials. “We have developed a safety plan based on the crash data, traffic and pedestrian volumes,” she said.

Hall said the DOT plans to construct two pedestrian islands, put in place long walk signals and paint bright “school” markings on the four crosswalks that surround the intersection. The pedestrian islands will provide a refuge for slower pedestrians who cross Northern Boulevard, while the markings will increase visibility for drivers.

The DOT also plans to reduce parking spaces on the northeast corner of 61st and Northern Boulevard to improve visibility for motorists making southbound left turns from 61st Street to eastbound Northern Boulevard.

The DOT is also banning the westbound left turn from Northern Boulevard to the southbound 61st Street to reduce danger in the south crosswalk.

“The traffic safety improvements announced by the Department of Transportation at 61st Street and Northern Boulevard in Woodside will make that area safer for everyone,” said Councilman Jimmy Van Bramer, who has worked with school leaders, parents and the community to get these measures approved.

“I am glad to see the city stepping up safety measures at this deadly intersection, though I only wish these plans had been completed before the life of Noshat Nahian was so tragically lost,” said State Sen. Mike Gianaris, in response to the announcement.

Gianaris has pointed out in the past that there have been five pedestrian deaths on Northern Blvd (within Western Queens) since 2010.

Northern Blvd. and 61st St by sunnysidepost

email the author: [email protected]

3 Comments

Click for Comments 
Sean

Spam – I hear what you are saying but the driver in the above mentioned case was UNLICENSED! The quickest way to make our roads more safe is to have a MANDATORY 6 month jail sentence for anyone caught driving without a license. It should be a full year for anyone caught driving with a suspended license. The Vision Zero plan is non-sense. people don’t follow traffic laws when there is no real punishment from breaking them. Jail Time would solve the problem in a heartbeat.

Reply
Spam, egg, sausage and spam

All well and good but also start locking up drivers who kill and maim or at least revoke their licenses.

Reply

Leave a Comment
Reply to this Comment

All comments are subject to moderation before being posted.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

Recent News

Popular places where you can watch the Super Bowl in Queens

Feb. 2, 2023 By Tammy Scileppi

Hey, football fans! Game time is fast approaching, and across the city and here in Queens, you can feel the excitement brewing as the two teams prepare to take the field on Super Bowl Sunday, Feb. 12. So, kick back and watch the big game, and don’t miss Rihanna’s exciting performance during halftime. 

Borough president hears from community members on budget needs throughout Queens

During a two-day public hearing on the mayor’s 2024 preliminary budget, Queens Borough President Donovan Richards Jr. listened to testimonies from 14 community board representatives, community stakeholders and members of the public on where the money should be spent in Queens. 

The public hearings were held both in-person and via Zoom on Monday, Jan. 30, and Tuesday, Jan. 31, at Queens Borough Hall. The testimonials will be used to develop the Queens Borough Board’s FY24 preliminary budget priorities in the coming weeks. 

‘He didn’t deserve to die’: Borough President Richards leads emotional candlelight vigil for Tyre Nichols

Queens Borough President Donovan Richards held a candlelight vigil for Tyre Nichols outside Queens Borough Hall Monday, Jan. 30 after Nichols’ death at the hands of police officers in Memphis, Tenn., made national headlines for the brutality in which the officers beat him.

Almost immediately after news broke about Nichols’ death, the Memphis police officers who beat him to death were fired and charged with murder. The police department released the body cam footage of the fatal beating on Jan. 27, but many people, including some at the vigil, have refused to watch it due to its extremely graphic nature.

Op-Ed: This Year’s State Budget Must Prioritize Climate, Jobs, and Justice for New York

Op-Ed, Jan. 30, By Assemblymember Jessica González-Rojas

In a time of rampant economic inequality and environmental injustice, it is easy to feel defeated.  Here in Queens and across New York State, however, communities are organizing for a better future. New Yorkers from different backgrounds and with different lived experiences are proving that we can build community, organize, and create a future that reflects our shared values.

LaGuardia Community College receives federal funding to expand vocational training for the unemployed

Jan. 27, 2023 By Bill Parry

LaGuardia Community College recently received more than $400,000 in federal funding to enhance and expand vocational training for underemployed New Yorkers in a city that is still working to recover from COVID-19 pandemic-induced job loss. The support was secured by U.S. Senators Charles Schumer and Kirsten Gillibrand, Congresswoman Nydia Velázquez and former Congresswoman Carolyn B. Maloney.