You are reading

Bars Prepare For Thursday Night’s Skillman Live Music Fest

Photo: QueensPost

July 12, 2012 By Christian Murray

The owners of six Skillman Ave. bars and restaurants met for just over an hour at the Claret Wine bar yesterday to put the finishing touches on plans for the Skillman Live Music Fest.

Tonight, the bars are sponsoring six bands to play at the Windmuller Park Band-shell at Doughboy Park (52nd and 39th Dr.) from 6 pm to 9 pm. The free live music event is being put on to raise money for Woodside on the Move and to increase the profile of the following pubs: Murphy’s Bar, The Copper Kettle, The Brogue, Claret, The Dog and Duck and Flynn’s Garden Inn.

The bar owners are hoping that people will attend the free concert in the park and then come back to their establishments after the event to hear the bands play on.

Each bar is sponsoring a band, which will play at Windmuller for 30 minutes and then perform at that pub after the event. Steve Reilly is being sponsored by Flynn’s; BenTK by the Brogue; Chris Campion by the Copper Kettle; Kevin Ford by the Dog and Duck; Dang-it-Bobbys by Claret; and Sean Henshaw by Murphy’s.

The Skillman Avenue bars have been selling raffle tickets–as well as 50-50 tickets– in recent weeks to raise money for Woodside on the Move, said Hazel Coombes, the owner of the Brogue. She said the winner of the 50-50 is likely to win around $1,000. The bars are raffling off items such as a bicycle, Mets tickets and a DVD player.

Adrian Bordoni, the executive director of Woodside on the Move, came up with the concept and approached Pat Tunney of The Copper Kettle with the idea earlier in the year. The bar owners were willing to support Woodside on the Move, which is a well-established, not-for-profit group that performs a range of functions—from children’s programs to senior services.

The six bar owners have worked together on two fund raising pub crawls in the past year– and they thought they would be even more adventurous this time.

Pat Tunney at The Copper Kettle

“This is groundbreaking stuff for us,” Tunney said. “We’ll see how this goes. It’s a win/win for us and if it’s successful it may lead to bigger things down the road. We may include other businesses, the more the merrier.”

Paul Flynn, the owner of Flynn’s Garden Inn, agreed. “If we all work together it makes Skillman Ave. a more happening place.”

The event is already creating a buzz in the neighborhood.

“We’ll stop by the park and see what’s going on,” said Richard Norris, a nearby resident. His daughter Kristi was planning her friend’s birthday party around the event.

“We’ll have dinner at one of the restaurants and then take in the show,” said Mike Novak. “It’s one of those things that brings the community together.”

In the event of inclement weather, the acts will move to the Skillman venues.

email the author: news@queenspost.com

7 Comments

Click for Comments 
Blarney

I’m only going if the owner of the Copper Kettle, Pat Tunney, sings a… Tuney… hardy harhar.

Reply
Blarney

Good work, Sunnyside Post, for giving a heads up. I usually hear about these events AFTER they happen.

Reply
Krissi

This is wonderful, but I wish I had heard of it before today so I could make plans to go!

Reply
Pat

WOW nice happening in the neighborhood.
….Like old times when people came out to share an evening together.

Bring back the teen dances in the parks on Friday evenings too.
..Run by the PAL in years gone by and were a big success …

Reply
Adrian Bordoni

Great coverage of tonight’s music festival! There are plenty of like-minded business owners and residents that will give their time to coordinate worthwhile events for Woodside. I commend the owners and managers working with Woodside On The Move and I hope for many successful projects in the future. Let’s have fun!

Reply

Leave a Comment
Reply to this Comment

All comments are subject to moderation before being posted.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

Recent News

Sen. Ramos delivers potential death blow to Mets owner’s dream of a casino alongside Citi Field

State Senator Jessica Ramos dealt a serious blow Tuesday to New York Mets owner Steve Cohen’s dream of building a massive casino and entertainment complex on the parking lot adjoining Citi Field where Shea Stadium once stood.

Ramos announced she would not support the $8 billion Metropolitan Park proposal, rejecting major pressure from her colleagues in government, including Queens Borough President Donovan Richards, and community leaders from nearby neighborhoods, who urged her to support permitted use legislation that would be required to build the complex on state-owned public parkland.