You are reading

Barnett Ave. No Longer a Dangerous Eyesore

Barnett Ave, historically a dangerous two-way street punctuated by trash and weeds, has been cleared of waste and converted into a one-way street with a sidewalk.

Many Sunnyside residents have been fighting for years to have the Avenue cleaned up, and have been working with the sanitation department, Dept. of Transportation and Community Board to bring change. They also have been calling for a sidewalk for some time.

The street is narrow, which made it particularly tight for two lanes even without the sidewalk. The local community rallied around the cause, pumping money into ongoing cleanups by picking up trash.

“Barnett Ave. had been an eyesore and blight on the community for years,” Joe Conley told the Woodside Herald. “It was an accident waiting to happen.”

Sunnyside resident, Ciaran Staunton, who led the movement and reached out to The Sunnyside Post, has been a vocal critic of the road for years.

Last year, Staunton and other residents thought they had their victory. City Council Speaker Christine Quinn visited the site (48th and Barnett Ave) and said the city would fund the sidewalk, which was scheduled to be completed by 2012.

However, the recession kicked in and New York City said it was unable to fund the project.

But Staunton was not deterred and formed the Barnett Avenue Alliance to lobby for the sidewalk.

The group’s persistence paid off and the city cleared the street, which was filled with local debris.

Today, the one-way street is in place and runs westbound from 48th to 50th streets. Furthermore, Barnett Ave. now has a sidewalk.

Photos from the Woodside Herald:

http://www.woodsideherald.com/uploads/Woodside_11_27_09.pdf

email the author: news@queenspost.com
No comments yet

Leave a Comment
Reply to this Comment

All comments are subject to moderation before being posted.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

Recent News

NYPD searching for burglary crew that targeted nearly 30 laundromats in Queens and others in Brooklyn and the Bronx

Police from the 110th Precinct in Elmhurst are looking for three masked men who broke into Susan’s Laundromat at 85-12 Grand Ave. at around 3:15 a.m. on Monday, June 24, while a fourth member of their crew acted as a lookout near their getaway car parked in front.

The burglars stole $1,800 in cash and removed a payment machine for the laundry room continuing an undetermined amount of cash.

Law enforcement ghost car crackdowns continue with dozens of vehicles seized on Whitestone Bridge: MTA

MTA Bridge and Tunnel officers, the NYPD and law enforcement partners impounded 55 vehicles from motorists crossing into Queens on the Whitestone Bridge on Monday, July 8, as a multi-agency crackdown continued unabated.

Governor Kathy Hochul announced on Tuesday that through 25 joint enforcement operations focusing on ghost plates and persistent toll violators on bridges and tunnels throughout New York City, 1,540 vehicles have been impounded, 339 arrests have been made and 12,007 summonses have been issued so far this year to drivers who owe more than $12.5 million in unpaid tolls and fees.