You are reading

Gianaris Pitching MLB on Bringing Its All-Star Game to Queens

Citi Field (Photo Queens Post)

April 5, 2021 By Christina Santucci

A Queens state senator is calling on Major League Baseball (MLB) to bring its annual All-Star Game to Citi Field this summer.

State Sen. and Deputy Majority Leader Michael Gianaris penned a letter to the MLB commissioner Friday, encouraging him to relocate the showcase to Queens. Baseball officials had announced earlier in the day they were pulling the game out of Georgia in response to the state’s new election rules.

“I write in light of your recent decision to move Major League Baseball’s All-Star Game from Atlanta in response to their new anti-voting rights law,” Gianaris said in the letter.

The new law adds a photo ID requirement for absentee ballots, limits drop boxes for ballots and makes offering food or water to those waiting in line to vote a misdemeanor, among other changes. Civil rights groups have criticized the new law as restricting voting rights.

“I commend you and MLB for taking this important stand in favor of democratic principles,” Gianaris wrote of the decision to move the game.

Gianaris then suggested holding the baseball showcase in the Mets’ home borough.

“There is no place in America that better symbolizes what our country stands for than Queens – home of Citi Field and the New York Mets,” Gianaris wrote.

“The most diverse county in the United States was also among the hardest hit during the Covid-19 pandemic, and this would be a fitting tribute to honor the all-stars of our community,” he continued.

The All-Star Game –which features the best players from the American League facing off against their National League counterparts – is scheduled to take place on July 13.

“We are finalizing a new host city and details about these events will be announced shortly,” MLB Commissioner Rob Manfred said in a statement Friday.

MLB officials select where the game is held each year. The All-Star Game was last held at Citi Field in 2013.

email the author: news@queenspost.com

One Comment

Click for Comments 
Johnny Cakes

It should’ve never been moved from Atlanta to begin with but Milwaukee should now be the host since they can still honor Hank Aaron and it be meaningful.

21
9
Reply

Leave a Comment
Reply to this Comment

All comments are subject to moderation before being posted.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

Recent News

Queens Together launches ‘Unofficial US Open Dining Guide’ encouraging fans to sample restaurants along the 7 line

Aug. 20, 2025 By Shane O’Brien

The US Open returns to Flushing Meadows Corona Park this Sunday, with more than 1 million attendees anticipated to take mass transit to the iconic annual tennis event. With hundreds of thousands of fans set to take the 7 out to the Billie Jean King National Tennis Center, there is a world of delicious local eateries lying beneath the elevated train tracks should any fan wish to stop en-route to the US Open.

Can Queens’ food scene thrive with both trucks and restaurants?

Aug. 19, 2025 By Jessica Militello

In Jackson Heights at 4 p.m. on a Thursday afternoon, Roosevelt Avenue is buzzing with energy as commuters file in and out of subway cars and onto the street and cars and trucks grapple to get down the busy road. The street is filled with rows of shops and restaurants, along with food carts, street vendors and food trucks along the avenue. The almost-but-not-quite the weekend lag leaves hungry commuters faced with another choice to make throughout their day and the array of food truck options in busy areas like Jackson Heights offers customers convenience and delicious food without breaking the bank, two features that can feel vital, particularly with rising costs of living and pressure from inflation.