9:15 am: Long voting lines at Queen of Angels

Please leave comments about your voting experience today.

(Click below for the photo of the line at 5 pm (care of Bryan Brinkman))

email the author: news@queenspost.com

Marilyn

I went to Queen of Angels at 7 and waited on line for a hour and half outside. Once inside it was chaotic. Poll workers didn’t seem to know what they were doing and were incorrectly directing people. It was the worst voting experience that I have ever had.

Sunnyside_Native

Went to Q of A at 2:15 pm. What a chaotic experience! Waited in line outside for quite a while, then as soon as I got inside, the poll worker in charge starts screaming, no more voters here, we cannot take any more voters here……What an eegit! I would imagine some folks probably got off of the line and didn’t know what to do, so they probably went home.

Inside was ridiculous & so many ugly people! One gentleman accused my aunt of cutting the line, just crazy!

I wonder how much money it costs in labor, delivery and storage of the silly little boxes they provide to fill out your ballot? Just ridiculous.

Who comprises this Board of Elections anyway?

Roxy

I’m old enough to remember that in years with a Presidential election, workers were given the day off and banks, schools, libraries, post offices, etcetera, were closed. When did that tradition end?

Long time sunnysider

First time that I voted at 47ave and 46 street. Got there around 6 and it took me all of 5 minutes from beginning to end. Met my friend on her way out and she sed 15 to 20 mins wait. Guess I just happened to meet people who knew what they were doing.

anonymous

the voting process would’ve been a whole lot quicker if competent poll workers were hired.

Oppressed Masses

There needs to be a concerted effort to reduce dependence on use of a physical voting place, for example, by allowing for use of voting via the internet. Many important transactions in life now occur on line. Security and privacy issues need to be resolved. Voting sites should be maintained for those not able to use computers, perhaps with reduced hours. While most poll workers are dedicated and friendly, the current voting process is arduous and takes too long.

sunnyside gansta

in the time it took me to vote Obama increased the debt by another 1 trillion!! unbelieveable!!! youd think that a president that increased the debt from 9 to 15 trillion in one term would slow down at some point.

Rick Duro

Election Day should be a day off for everyone, well, except the folks who decide to work the polls.

Amanda

Approx. 75 minute wait at Queen of Angels at 7 pm. Room was really not ideal for voting, with no place to wait indoors and no organization to the lines.

huh?

7a.m. @ 150 today:

Poll worker 1: “This is number 62.”

Poll worker 2: “No, this is number 62.” (pointing to a different paper.)

Poll worker 3: “What happened to #52? That’s where we have to go back and count?”

Poll worker 4: “The stub is 61 but the voter is 62.”

Voter: “Should I come back later?”

Rinse and repeat.

Ruben

Nice try, everyone here should know the REAL Ruben doesn’t apologize ever.

King of Queens es un Pendejo de segundo clase que vive en el sur de Sunnyside.

Native NYer

Voted at St Sebastisan’s, got there at 10:45 out by 11:15. Very crowded and a bit disorganized but the poll workers and fellow voters were mostly cheerful.

Ich_bin_ein_Sunnysider

@Ruben

Fair is defined in this neighborhood as whatever benefits the liberal/leftist viewpoint.

Ruben

Moderator, if you’re going to go ahead and censor my comments then please go right ahead and censor king of queens comment where he insults me in Spanish.

be fair

Ruben

Hey King of Queens.. My comment is on point, look at that pic Bryan put up. You think imma wait on THAT line ? right after the 2 hours you gotta wait for gas and the 2 hours it takes to get home from the city, F*** that !

Not to mention election day takes the kids outta the school but we parents STILL have to work? makes sense? The day ends up being a burden rather than a privilege.

Ich_bin_ein_Sunnysider

Voting on church property?

Where is the separation of church and state crowd?

Ich_bin_ein_Sunnysider

I don’t trust electronic scanners. They can be rigged or hacked.

It should be paper ballots only, with large lettering and boxes so even elderly people can read it easily.

Scanners were supposed to make things easier and faster. They do neither apparently.

pomme

Arrived at Queen of Angels rec center at 3:50 pm. Took 1 hour to vote, long line in the cold. Scanner malfunctioned and then was fixed. Board of Elections people were nice and helpful, as was the police officer on duty.

But 1 hour???? It used to take 10 minutes at PS 150 (my voting place was changed).

It will only get worse when people come from work.

What is with the Board of Elections? Some oversight is needed.

Ich_bin_ein_Sunnysider

The voting signs should be written in English only – just like the Declaration of Independence and the Constitution. Just like jurors are expected to understand.

Is it too much for to ask that naturalized citizens eligible to vote be able to understand the words “vote here” ? We’re not asking them to read Hamlet.

I voted at PS 199. There was a table with four women, two of whom just sat there doing nothing at all. Only one seemed to have any command of English. The two others looked up names and handed out voting cards but only with the help of the male supervisor hovering over them instructing their every move. It was late in the afternoon so they had quite a few hours to figure out this simple procedure. It would have gone faster if the supervisor just did the whole process himself.

Roxy

I arrived at IS 125 at 10:30 am and finished nearly an hour later. My area was divided into two long lines. At first they said the lines were alphabetical A-L and M-Z, but then they changed it by feeding from each line alternately. By the time I left, the lines seemed to be moving a bit faster…I was concerned by the new system, which seems like it could easily be tampered with. Some people were wandering around with their folders, actually asking others for opinions on whom they should vote for!

Nancy

Trying for the 4th time today- waiting outside for 45 minutes so far with a baby and no movement on the line. This is crazy at Queen of Angels!

Ruben

I’m not voting…I’m so sick of Lines.. Lines for the bus, Lines for gas even lines to pick up my copy of Halo 4… Screw that.

Spitfire

Wake up.

Both candidates work for the same people. Different puppets, same puppet masters.

Elections are a joke.

Way too long

Waited in a line going out the door at IS125 at 7:20am. Took 50 minutes to get to the table to get the ballot. I’m in ED37. There were other EDs in there with no one arriving to vote the whole time I was there. Why do they not split up ED37’s books to allow 4 or even 6 people to sign this district in? The districts with noone at them could do with just one person signing people in. It makes no sense. Once you get a ballot, the process is a breeze, but getting to that point should not have taken that long. ED 37 has been a problem for years now. When they redid all these districts, why didn’t they split this one? Seems its even bigger now.

Lisa

I voted at Queens of Angels. I arrived at 12:05 and was done by 12:55. I don’t understand why I have been moved from PS 150. I have never had to wait to vote for practically an hour. Nevertheless, I am happy for the right to do so. Get out there and vote!!

Spitfire

You need an ID to buy a beer, get on a plane, cash a check or open a bank account. But not to vote. Yeah, that makes sense.

Sandra

Nightmare at IS 125 this morning didn’t open till 6.25am total confusion and i agree more competent people needed very slow
45 mins in and out, but I voted and I guess that’s what matters

Chris

@ Susan thank you and @ David I never voted before never felt my vote mattered trying to do something different this time

grumpy_toast

Just got back from Queen of Angels, the hold up for me was the check in desk where you sign the book. One of the people at the table wandered off for coffee and a few minutes later a 2nd did leaving the 3rd to try to write cards and find names by himself for a few minutes. One eventually came back to help.

They have two books for the district, one for each half of the alphabet but were only taking one person at a time. Last time, they had a line for each book and check in moved much faster.

My husband went at open (6) and had issues with the scanner. They told him his vote would not be counted at all. They offered he could wait for the repair person to show up around 11 or so.

Susan

@ Chris if you’re not registered – don’t think you can vote! – call or look up online the Board of Elections

Local Hamburgler

Several racial slurs overheard at PS150 this morning at 6:30am. It was pretty shocking.

Susan

voted @ P.S. 150 @ 6am this morning — they should retire at LEAST half of the incompetent pollsters working there – they are ALWAYS confused, don’t know the alphabet, can’s spell and are WAY too slow…younger people please!

Nancy

I voted at Queen of Angels, and while the line was long, the people were kind, informed, and helpful. Go America!

David

Don’t have an ID or can’t find it? You do not need to present an ID to vote. If your name is not found in the book, request an Affidavit Ballot. Every registered voter is entitled to vote today. Exercise your right as a citizen to select your leaders and representatives.

Mary

I got there at 7:30 am. Had to wait in line outside in the cold for about 15 minutes. Then had to wait another 20 minutes on line waiting to get the ballot. The lady at the 28th ED table was sooo slow. Filled out ballot then went straight to the scanning machine. Was out by 8:10 am. Overall not that bad.

Chris

If I’m not a registered voter which poll site do I register @ if I live in Sunnyside ps150 or queen of angles

Mark

I voted at PS150 around 7:30 this morning. It took about 30 minutes. There was some confusion for some voters, but it went pretty smoothly for me.

John

If the scanners are having issues, tell the polling volunteers to remove the excess paper from the perforated edge of the ballot. This is causing scanners to jam. Go technology!